Wednesday, April 10

Something Ain't Right

Had a little problem at chemo today. When I go to chemo, they give me several different drugs, that's why it takes 7-8 hours. Most of the drugs are to counter act the side effects of the hard Cancer Killing drugs they give me towards the end of the treatment. Well, I was about 30 minutes into one of these drugs and the palms of my hands started to itch bad, I mean really bad. It was driving my crazy. I got up to go use the bathroom and wash my hands. Well came out of the john and all of a sudden I started to get really dizzy and started getting really hot, like I was in an oven.

I stood there for a sec to get my bearings and said to one of the nurses at the station nearby that I think something ain't right.  She took one look at me and jumped to her feet and came over to steady me and get me back to my room to sit down and then called an emergency over the loud speaker and to have all staff report to my room. I thought, Oh shit......I was sitting there burning up and looked at my arms and they were as red as a boiled lobster. I started to get scared. The head nurse showed up and immediately disconnected the chemo. The Doc showed up and they took my blood pressure the Doc told them to give me some stuff in my IV. My tongue started to feel kinda weird, like it was folding in half like a piece of paper. I could not speak. The DOC was concerned my breathing was affected and kept asking me if I could breath, I nodded and said yeah no problem. The took my blood pressure several times and were monitoring my heart rate, I was surrounded by nurses and the Doc there were at least 7 people in my little chemo room. I was getting scared. The DOC picked up on this and reassured me that everything was going to be ok. I had just had a reaction to one of the drugs they were giving me. He said this happens sometimes and too not be concerned. Just calm down and you are going to be ok. It took about 30-40 minutes before I started to feel normal, there were 3 nurses in there at all times watching me and kept asking how I was feeling. That made me feel really good and calmed me down having them there.

Well, after about an hour I was feeling normal, they had given me a saline drip with benadryl in it. The DOC came in and said that I had a classic reaction to this drug.....he named it but I forgot. He said that this happens sometimes, he said you could take the drug for awhile and then....poof, you get a reaction. He asked me If I had been sick with the flu and I said I am getting over a pretty bad cold, he said that is what probably triggered the reaction. He didn't have me do chemo today. He said he's giving me a break and to come back in 2 weeks. I asked him if that would give the cancer time to start growing again and he said no, you will be fine. Take a break.

So, I didn't get chemo today and I don't have that pump on me.....woohoo!!!!  I go back in 2 weeks. I have not had chemo now in 2 weeks, this next 2 weeks will make it a month since I had chemo. I am hoping my taste buds come back. The Doc mentioned that too. Oh, I hope hope. I would be happy if they come back just for a day. So, that's where I stand. Had a little scare today, but the Doc says that I am going to be fine and not to worry about it. That happens. He said my blood looked very good, and I look good. So, I'm cool. Looking forward to finally taste a good pizza for a change...I hope!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you Kraig glad everything is ok!!!!