Monday, June 4

Life

I have cancer. I had no idea or ever thought I would get anything like this, especially at my age. I received my biopsy results May 29th. It is stage 4 pancreas cancer. My family and friends know and they are fully supporting me. My wife is the greatest. She has been through a couple fights like this with her relatives in the past, but this is a bad one I'm sorry to say.

 I have recently changed my outlook on life. In the past I was the typical young, conceded, hated people, nothing is going to happen to me type. Not anymore. This disease has me looking my own mortality in the face. I am staring back with determination and strength. I have recently accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into my heart and pray for his strength on a daily basis and am thankful that he has provided me with such good friends and family members to rely on for support. I am especially thankful for my wife Kathy. I do not think that I could go through this without her, and continue to fight for her sake. To tell you all the truth, If she were not here, I would have probably done something drastic upon hearing the news. ( I had already picked out the tree)

 I am hopeful and full of anticipation on fighting this disease. I am going to fight it and beat this. My doctor seems to know what he is doing and does not "sugar coat" anything. He tells me up front what to expect and how things are. I have had my first round of chemo with no side effects yet. I don't care about my hair, I keep it real short anyways. I am trying to keep my gut. Been eating like a pig actually. I do not want to start losing weight. I do not drink anymore, have not had a beer in 2 weeks, been craving one though. I go in for my next round of chemo tomorrow, perhaps I may ask my doctor about non-alcoholic beer. I need a little normalcy in my life right now. I am currently talking anti-anxiety pills to help me cope.

 I have not been to work since my diagnosis, I have a fairly long commute on deserted country roads, my wife is concerned that I will fall asleep behind the wheel. My work is behind me 100% and are working with me.

 For those of you who read this blog, Pancreas Cancer is a killer. I'm fighting it tooth and nail. 1 word of advice. Get checked. An ultra sound could save your life. The reason this cancer is so bad is because it shows no symptoms, pain, anything till it is in it's advanced stages. A person could have a tumor for several years before pain, symptoms, anything shows up. Get an ultra sound yearly. This cancer if caught in it's early stages can be cut out, killed.

 I thank the lord up above for the sign he sent me to get my backside to the doctor. I had a blood clot in my lung, that is what was causing my pain. They did a chest x-ray, found something behind my breast bone and sent me for a CT scan. (the CT scan showed my chest clear BTW) That CT scan revealed the cancer in my pancreas. If I had never had that scan, I would still be clueless as to what was inside me today. The lord sent me that sign and for that I am very thankful. This cancer just came on me. Although I did drink and do smoke, these actions did not cause it, my doctor has stated this to me. This cancer just happens out of the blue like a thunderbolt. Some believe it my be in genes, but I have no history of this cancer in my immediate family dating back for 4 generations. The most important thing I can say here is this, GET CHECKED! Ultra sounds are easy and believe me the money you spend on one is well worth it. Get checked yearly. Thank you for you support. God Bless You All.

No comments: